Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'd be happy to provide advice regarding this ingestion by your dogs. It certainly sounds like a pretty high dose of these medications even if they're larger dogs. About how much to do each of the dogs weigh, and how long ago did they ingest these tablets?
Which time zone are you in?
And would they have ingested it then or could they have ingested it earlier?
Any vomiting from either of them?
The hydrochlorothiazide is unlikely to cause too many issues as long as they have plenty of access to fresh water, but I am concerned about the amount of lisinopril they may have ingested.
If they have not already vomited, it would be worth inducing vomiting in both of them using 3% hydrogen peroxide. I would suggest giving each of them a tablespoon of it by mouth. It can be repeated if it doesn't work within 10-15 minutes.
While both drugs have a wide safety margin, if each dog ingested only half of the pills that's a relatively high dose that may cause problems. Lisinopril can cause low blood pressure and acute kidney failure at doses over 20mg/kg.
If you can get them both to vomit, you may be able to see if one or both of them ingested tablets and how much you can get back out of them.
Let me know how it goes...I'm happy to assist further based upon what you find.
I hope things are going well with your pups. Please remember to rate my assistance as I do not get credit for helping you unless you complete this rating. If you still have questions, please let me know so I can assist further. Thanks!