Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience
25745582

My dog ate hydrochlorothiazide 25 MG tablets- looks like

Customer Question

My dog ate hydrochlorothiazide 25 MG tablets- looks like about 35 tablets and 88 tablets of 40 MG of lisinopril.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We have two dogs and we don't know if one or both ate them. Husky 12 yes old and cooker spaniel 4 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Husky?
Customer: No
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'd be happy to provide advice regarding this ingestion by your dogs. It certainly sounds like a pretty high dose of these medications even if they're larger dogs. About how much to do each of the dogs weigh, and how long ago did they ingest these tablets?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Husky 55 lbs
Cocker spaniel 33 lbs
We found the chewed up containers at 11pm
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

Which time zone are you in?

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

And would they have ingested it then or could they have ingested it earlier?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eastern time. They were left alone from 830 to 11p
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

Any vomiting from either of them?

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

The hydrochlorothiazide is unlikely to cause too many issues as long as they have plenty of access to fresh water, but I am concerned about the amount of lisinopril they may have ingested.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
What symptoms should we be looking for? What can we do?
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

If they have not already vomited, it would be worth inducing vomiting in both of them using 3% hydrogen peroxide. I would suggest giving each of them a tablespoon of it by mouth. It can be repeated if it doesn't work within 10-15 minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

While both drugs have a wide safety margin, if each dog ingested only half of the pills that's a relatively high dose that may cause problems. Lisinopril can cause low blood pressure and acute kidney failure at doses over 20mg/kg.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

If you can get them both to vomit, you may be able to see if one or both of them ingested tablets and how much you can get back out of them.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Okay, we will try to induce vomiting. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 29 days ago.

Let me know how it goes...I'm happy to assist further based upon what you find.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 28 days ago.

I hope things are going well with your pups. Please remember to rate my assistance as I do not get credit for helping you unless you complete this rating. If you still have questions, please let me know so I can assist further. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JJ-DVM