Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I just noticed that my dog seems to be bleeding from his

Customer Question

Hello, I just noticed that my dog seems to be bleeding from his anus. Is there anything I should be worried about?
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP.
Customer: Thank you.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: Yes, my dog has recently been diagnosed with a calcified disk in his neck. We have been in an out of vet offices for the passed two days. He has been taking tremedol and just recently started gabapentin. both for pain
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: He has not been eating today and has had diaarrhea but yesterday was consitpated
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 29 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can be a result of the medication or simply the stress of not feeling well and visits to the veterinarian. It can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

Indications of cause for concern tonight and reasons to consider a veterinary er:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 27 days ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dog since you asked your question yesterday. I hope he is doing alright and would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 24 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman