Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Chest itchiness trying to identify trigger but have given

Customer Question

Chest itchiness trying to identify trigger but have given prednisone in the past for other short term
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I have some looking for dosage and frequency for 75 lb pit
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Chest only
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No other symptoms removed leather collar
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: No behavior changes just the scratching need to stop that to prevent secondary infection
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: No fleas
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Three year old pit tyke is his name
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Written via email?

Just busy typing out your answer now, you should be able to read it here in ten minutes or so ...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Picture attached

Hello again

Thanks for the photo, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Prednisone is commonly prescribed for dogs where skin allergies of various sorts have occurred and used properly it is generally safe in this sort of situation. Having seen the photo I have to say that hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day may help as well as oral prednisone, you can get the cream over the counter.

2. In this sort of situation I personally would normally use a dose rate of 0.2 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given twice daily for five days or so depending on the response. This works out as 15 mg twice a day for a 75 pound dog.

3. Follow this link for more in depth information on how Prednisone is used in dogs { Including dose rates } : LINK

5. Of course if a common sense approach does not resolve the situation then it would be best to have your local vet check your dog over, however I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Prednisone ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.