Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is dying and has been for a week. She smells awful

Customer Question

My dog is dying and has been for a week. She smells awful and is now breathing very heavily . Is this a sign that the time is near. Don't want to put her down. Want her Togo at home
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She cannot hold her head up or even move her body
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 24 days ago.

My name is***** I am so sorry your dog seems to be passing away.

Based on your description, it sounds like she is suffering from kidney failure. That can give the dogs a very unpleasant smell and make them very weak. I understand your desire to have her pass away at home. It can be difficult to take them into a vet clinic to be put to sleep. However, there is another option for your. There are many mobile veterinarians that will come to your house to help ease our beloved pets to peace. I'm not sure where you live, but most big cities have that option. With kidney failure, pets can have abnormalities in the their electrolytes and that can cause weakness. Without seeing her, it is difficult to determine when she may pass, but it does sound like she is very very ill. When was the last time she was seen by a vet and what did they say? That information will help me give you the best information I can.