Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What to do when your dog throws up yellow frothy bile? No,

Customer Question

what to do when your dog throws up yellow frothy bile?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Polly aged 6
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Polly?
Customer: She has a little fat bubble on her tummy which the vet stuck a needle into and it contained fat.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 24 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long has Polly had this problem?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
for about two years, it only happens occasionally. I googled it once and it said it was because she had an empty stomach, but she didn't have this time.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

If this only happens very occasionally and Polly then quickly recovers then this is not too much of a problem, but if the episodes become more frequent or you become further concerned then you should have a local vet check her over just to be on the safe side in case there is some form of underlying problem.

That said I can give you advice on how to handle occasional minor bouts of vomiting in the dog, vomiting is quite common in dogs by the way. There are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these can often work well work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day is fine for very small dogs ranging up to a tablespoon twice a day for very large dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or Polly deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 23 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Polly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.