Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 11 years old. He is acting lethargic and has his

Customer Question

My dog is 11 years old. He is acting lethargic and has his tail tucked. This began yesterday morning. He goes not seem to have problems walking, he is eating and his stool and urine appear normal.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing any change in his overall demeanor? Is he willing to play? Take stairs?

Are you seeing any scooting behavior?

What breed is he?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He is a beagle. Like I said, he is rather lethargic. He is really not what I would describe as playful, but he does come up to be petted and to be sure he gets his share of attention ( I have another beagle as well). He is excited at feeding times!
No scooting behavior.
It as been two days now. He does not seem to be in pain.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

The reason I asked for more detail in his symptoms is because lethargy alone seldom tells us enough to determine what might be causing the problem. At this time, everything seems normal except his energy level. No pain, so no reason to treat that. And no nausea or vomiting, so no reason to treat that either.

As a Beagle, we often see neck and back sensitivity and even arthritis which ca slow the pet down, but it sounds like he isn't showing signs of concern there either.

At this point, I would recommend keeping a close eye on him for any changes which might tell us what is wrong. It's simply too soon to tell with the symptoms he's having right now. If the lethargy does persist, I would have him examined to see if your vet can elicit some pain response or find another abnormality on exam. At 11, some blood work might be useful in the event that you are picking up on subtle changes that haven't truly developed into anything serious yet.

I will be on all day today if you need more support.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sorry I did not respond to your last answer. I just had surgery Monday & am recovering. My dog's energy level has improved a bit, but that tail is still tucked. Due to my recovery, I have not been able to walk him, so the activity he gets is in & out of a dog door to a small bank yard. Once I can get back to walking him, I may be able to tell more about pain or energy level.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Let me know if you need any additional help. I hope your recovery is speedy