Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have been feeding my 5 lb. Yorkie chicken broth on her

Customer Question

I have been feeding my 5 lb. Yorkie chicken broth on her food because she rarely drinks water. I have also used chicken stock. Both are low sodium but both contain onion. Is that going to cause problems for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baby is four years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: When we first got her she was diagnosed with a "giant" stone in her bladder which had to be removed. She eats special urinary tract food. She is also allergic to grass and takes Apoquel once a day.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 23 days ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Tamie and I'm so glad you asked about what you are feeding Baby. The urinary diet that we prescribe when pets have bladder stones works by changing the pH of the urine. It makes the urine have a low pH (pH is how acidic or alkaline the urine is). At the low pH crystals can't form and grow into bladder stones. Eating anything other than the urinary diet counteracts its ability to decrease the urine. The chicken stock and chicken broth may be completely negating the positive effects of the food.

Onions are harmful to the red blood cells in dogs and have been shown to cause a significant enough damage to the red blood cells to become anemic. Some dogs seem to be more sensitive than others, so we recommend no onions to any dog or cat just in case.

I would recommend that you maybe try a canned version of the urinary diet to add to the food so she can have the full benefits of the prescription food.

Since you have not seen symptoms of anemia or bladder stones again, I suspect she is doing fine. For my patients, I recommend nothing in addition to the prescription food when a dog has had a bladder stone, so the prescription food can work appropriately. But before you make any changes to her diet, check with your regular vet for their recommendations for her since they know her medical history.

Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 22 days ago.

Do you have any additional questions for me?