Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I think my puppy dislocated his jaw running into a fence.

Customer Question

Hi I think my puppy dislocated his jaw running into a fence. Bits clicked back into place but he's stretching his mouth like a yawn a lot more. Will this give him problems?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bentley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bentley?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Were any x-rays taken to confirm where and what was dislocated? Were any fractures or breaks noted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not taken Bentley to a vet yet.

I would suggest doing so. If there is difficulty for him getting one area to reduce property or if there is a fracture, time can be of the essence in addressing this medically for the highest rate of success. The yawning behavior can be due to pain or trying to mobilize the jaw in such as manner as to make it feel normal (which can help to reduce a dislocation, in some cases). If it isn't 'normal' by now, he's done all he can do on his own at home. It's time to see your vet.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Bentley today?