Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

How are u, my dog is a little sick today - not eating his

Customer Question

hi how are u, my dog is a little sick today - not eating his breakfast and now dinner - passing urine a lot & possibly constipated - any suggestion - I can't really afford to take him to an after hours vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 10 years
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Serial
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Serial?
Customer: he is very old - he ha a little bit off blood on is stool - pooh
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not taken my dog to a vet for very long time - he has been chip and registor, he is a great family dog, I just feel with age is there any thing special that I should be doing for him - he has biscuits in the morning and his roll in the afternoon - he has daily walks so he is not lacking in exercise
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any changes to his food? new food? new treats? human food?
2) Any vomiting?
3) Diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Little vomiting & no diaarhea

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. In some cases we can see blood present due to straining or a GI upset, but often this symptom can worsen to the point that the stool is purely blood. If this happens, you absolutely must get veterinary assistance promptly.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800