Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 30lb dog ate some our raw cacao butter. I believe it was

Customer Question

My 30lb dog ate some our raw cacao butter. I believe it was a small amount.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Howie 12yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Howie?
Customer: He has epilepsy and is onot phenobarbital
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While chocolate toxicity { cacao } can be a problem in dogs my experience is that with your product if only a small amount was involved then there will be very little risk of side effects.

2. There are no special measures you need take for present other than just keeping and eye on your dog. Of course if any side effects such vomiting, diarrhoea, inccordination or tremors should occur then have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay, but as I said this is not very likely.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Howie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cacao butter incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?