Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate chocolate. Trying to figure out how much is too

Customer Question

My dog ate chocolate. Trying to figure out how much is too much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 2 dogs. I can call my vet if I need too just looking for info on how much is too much.
JA: How old is my?
Customer: Etta is 18 lb jack russlell. Ghost is 85 lb Akbash
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about russlell?
Customer: Etta is 5. Ghost is 10 months. They ate about six milk chocolate Lindor truffles.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 27 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. For Etta, as little as 1 ounce of milk chocolate can cause some mild clinical symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and tremors. At 2.5-3 ounces, I would be more concerned about more serious side effects. For Akbash, 10 ounces would be were I would expect to see mild signs. I would start being more concerned about more serious side effects at 13 ounces. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 24 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 24 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Etta is doing and to see if you have any further questions.