Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She ate 30 1mg tablets of clonazipam. She weighs 26kg, 2-3yr

Customer Question

She ate 30 1mg tablets of clonazipam. She weighs 26kg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 2-3yr old xxl pitbull
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about pitbull?
Customer: Perfect health. Just not too bright I induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide and water. No tablets found
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 28 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. What was the time gap between her swallowing the tablets and inducing vomiting.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
5-10 minutes

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Great that's good, in my experience if you can thoroughly induce vomiting in such a short space of time then the chances are everything will be just fine.

2. Clients are often concerned about not seeing the tablets in the vomit, but frequently they quickly dissolve as they are intended to do and so are not seen. Most likely no concerns on this score.

3. There are no further measures you need take, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 27 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Pitbull is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Clonazipam incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
She's fine now. However I'm not doing so good without my med that can't be refilled for the next 30 days. Other wise fine. Stayed up all night with her.

Thanks so much for the update, so glad she came through this OK :-)

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
After research the average ld50 for the drug was found to be roughly 400mg/kg. I'm sure most came up in the vomit but slightly digested. She was rather "drunk" most the night but otherwise fine.

Dogs are rarely at very serious risk from overdoses of this drug, but more minor side effects are common ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 24 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?