Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is biting her tail and leg so much that she's causing

Customer Question

my dog is biting her tail and leg so much that she's causing them to bleed. what can I do to help her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds - she's currently taking rimadil - she's 17 years old - was just at the vet last week.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about she 's?
Customer: no, she received the rimadil pills and a shot for being itchy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and than you for using this site to help you. Since you have seen your vet last week I am going to assume he/she has seen the area and diagnosed the problem.

At this point you want to prevent the dog from chewing the area before a bacterial infections starts. To do this use an Elizabethan collar to prevent chewing. If the dog can continue to reach the area then the wounds can become infected from chewing.

Clean any wounds daily and apply a triple antibiotic ointment, one that does not contain zinc oxide until the area heals.