Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate 25-40 pistachio and shells about 1 1/2 hour ago.

Customer Question

my dog ate 25-40 pistachio nuts and shells about 1 1/2 hour ago. what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie is a 7 year old Shar-Pei
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: she is very healthy and acts like a puppy!
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 28 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The good thing is that pistachios and their shells are not toxic to dogs, however there is a small risk of obstruction when larger amounts are ingested. However this sort of risk is less likely in a larger dog like Sophie, but you may perhaps see a minor transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea.

2. In this sort of situation the wait and see approach is probably best as in most cases the nuts and their shell will just naturally pass, just keep an eye on your dog for now and then contact an ER vet without delay if any odd symptoms such as repeated vomiting, anorexia, lethargy or signs of abdominal pain occur.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sophie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 27 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sophie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Pistachio nuts incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 24 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 18 days ago.

.