Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our standard poodle was chewing on a hot shot ant bait

Customer Question

our standard poodle was chewing on a hot shot ant bait station
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the standard poodle's name and age?
Customer: Camden and she is 12
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Camden?
Customer: no - she is acting fine and ready for dinner. she did not chew it up and swallow it she just chewed on it for a minute or two
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Good news Camden is at no risk whatsoever, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. This is something vets are commonly asked, and it is a very common incident and usually nothing to worry about. You see the active constituent of ant traps is actually almost always not that toxic to dogs, so normally even a small dog would have to actually swallow the contents of quite a few traps before there were any toxic effects. These ant traps contains something like peanut butter to attract the ants and that's why dogs go for them.

2. Basically there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, your dog should be just fine, but when I answer a question like this I always like to give people a link which covers the subject so they can check the validity of my advice : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Camden's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Camden is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ant bait station ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.