Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

My daughters Newfie is 11 mo. Old, has had issues with

My daughters Newfie is 11 mo. Old, has had issues with diarrhea, was put on a Rx dog food that helped and slowly weaned down with the amount of that food to regular food. The diarrhea went away, but returned yesterday. No parasites in stool and he should be gaining 10# ***** month. He weighed in yesterday at 92, a 2 lb wt. loss since he weighed in 2 months ago. He eats 4c food daily. He's growing tall and long, just not beefing up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ralphie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ralphie?
Customer: No, he's been healthy up till the diarrhea issue

I am sorry that Ralphie is having diarrhea and is not gaining weight. There are many causes for diarrhea, and although you mentioned that he did not have any parasites in the stool, I would recommend having this rechecked again. Fecal exams can only find parasites in the particular sample at the given time, and some parasites die if left out. If something is found, then it can be treated. If it is negative, this does not mean there is 100% no parasites, just that none were found in that particular sample. I recommend bringing a fresh sample (within 1 hour of elimination) to your local vet to be analyzed. Some things cannot be seen with the naked eye and will need to have microscopic examination. There are also other systemic issues, such as liver shunts, hormonal imbalances, or GI diseases that may lead to weight loss or failure to thrive. If Ralphie is continuing to have diarrhea or lose weight, it is important to run additional tests to look for any other underlying diseases. He may also need some blood tests if he continues to lose weight. IF there is active diarrhea, depending on severity, this can lead to dehydration and weight loss over time. It may be worthwhile to at least have him treated symptomatically with a doggy antidiarrheal from your vet, even if tests are coming out normal. I would also recommend checking your food and looking to see if you are feeding enough. Usually, the package suggests a certain amount of food to be given, but this is simply a starting point. Some dogs will need more or less. At this point, it may also be ok to not limit his food intake to see if he grows with a higher caloric intake. If he is finishing all his food, and still seems hungry, go ahead and feed more. It may also be helpful to add in a doggy probiotic (can be purchased from your local pet store) to help with the diarrhea. Let me know if you have any additional questions or if you need any clarification. I hope Ralphie starts to feel better soon!

Best,

Dr. Pearl