Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Foaming on one side of his mouth, Restless, Foaming on one

Customer Question

Foaming on one side of his mouth
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Restless
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Foaming on one side of her s mouth seems restless he had
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the animal?
Customer: Foaming/drooling on one side of his mouth seems restless
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the's name and age?
Customer: Butkus 10 yrs a bulldog had a single bite of Starbucks pumpkin bread
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Starbucks?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I gave him a Benadryl because I thought he may have been stung by a wasp as he has been allergic in the past
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you seeing long shoe strings of drool that's dripping or frothy saliva?
2) Is he willing to eat and drink still?
3) When was the bread eaten?
4) Any facial swelling or facial/oral sensitivity?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was frothy than he vomited froth now it's a clear drip
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bread was eaten about 11 am

The drooling is going to be due to nausea if he's vomited and likely due to the ingestion of the bread.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would one small bite effect him so badly

For some dogs, absolutely. The veterinary medical profession, as a whole, does not recommend the feeding of human food because of the high risk to a pet's health. In some cases, dogs will wind up needing to be hospitalized due to complications from consuming human food. It can happen with as little as a bite of something they should not have eaten. Pancreatitis, for example, is well known to be a secondary concern with human food consumption.

I would plan to follow the directions above to see if he feels better. If not, you need to see your vet for treatment.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 30 days ago.

Checking in. How is your companion? I didn't hear back from you yesterday.