Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

7 yr old her eyes have been runny her whole life. used an

Customer Question

7 yr old her eyes have been runny her whole life. used an ointment to cure in the past. we have moved and need to replace the ointment or other method to cure the running eye problem
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 58 lb female dog
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: zena
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about zena?
Customer: no she rolls in the grass and rubs her face
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

It sounds like Zena has allergies with the eye discharge and rubbing of her nose which is a common reflection of this issue.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if this persists or progresses then please consider a veterinary exam.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush to remove any debris in the eyes causing allergies. This is most important in the evenings before bed

- No rubbing! This can cause corneal ulceration and further irritation to the eyes

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

There is also a possibility that she has blocked tear ducts but often flushing the eyes and benadryl will help with allergy related discharge. On rare occasions we need to prescribe a topical antihistamine as well to provide relief.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!