Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is anemic and I was wondering if -12 shots will help and

Customer Question

she is anemic and I was wondering if b-12 shots will help and what would the proper dosage be for a 23.5 lb dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Did you get any info that I sent
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She is having an anemic problem. They have tried much testing and still are not sure. I was wondering if B/12 shots would help
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Yes weak, loss of appetite. Test show nothing so far. Full ultra sound of all organs, chest xray & bone marrow check
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: No
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Katie , 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about katie?
Customer: She had her teeth cleaned 3 months ago. A benine cyst removed from her anal area 5-6 weeks ago.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Vitamin B-12 can be useful with some types of anemia. If you will tell me the concentration of the vitamin B-12 you have, I will find a dosage for you.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Cyanocobalamin Vial/inj 1 mil1s 1000mcg Please let me know. Kathy

It would be safe to give her 275mcg once weekly for 4-6 weeks. If the concentration is 1000mcg/1mL of fluid, she would need 0.25mL given under the skin at each dosing.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.

Checking in. How is your companion? I didn't hear back from you yesterday.