Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

He has not been eating or drinking its been 24 hours I took

Customer Question

he has not been eating or drinking its been 24 hours I took him to the vet they took an xray and did blood work and said no issues were found they gave him meds for some GI tract issue but I cant give him meds because he wont even drink water
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: mowgli 12 years shihtzu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about mowgli?
Customer: not that I know of
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 23 days ago.

My name is***** and I can try and help you with Mowgli. Its so upsetting when our pets don't eat or drink. One thing you could try would be to get a syringe and syringe some water into his mouth to keep him hydrated. A lot of times, if they aren't drinking, we put them on IV fluids.

One way to entice him to eat would be to do some boiled chicken and rice, cottage cheese, or plain yogurt. I usually also have good luck with warmed up chicken baby food.

Unless he will bite you, you could try just putting the meds in the back of his throat to try and get a dose into him.

Please post back with further questions.

Dr. Snow