Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog just started throwing up today could the medicine the

Customer Question

hello my dog just started throwing up today could the medicine the vet gave him to calm him down while he is being groomed be the cause he has never done this before he is 5 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: he dont like any kind of dog food so i make him liver and he loves garlic bolony thats all he will eat but never was sick before took him to vet yestorday because he needed his nails cut and he acts up every time so the vet recomended i give him 1an quarter acepromazine i hour and half before grooming time he was ok yestorday but today he is throwing up all over the place and drinking lot of water please help me on what to do deeply appreate it ty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: he drags his butt alot but vet checked him out yestorday and said his angus gland was full but he was ok now
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 30 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. This drug does not mention vomiting as a side effect. You can read about the side effects here. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/acepromazine-promace-aceproject-

He could have picked up a virus while being groomed or one other worry is what you are feeding him. Garlic is toxic to dogs and baloney can be considered a fatty food that can cause pancreatitis so I would rethink what you have given him to eat and how often he ate it.

Because he is vomiting he has probably become dehydrated which is why he is drinking so much. Try to let him have access to fluids in the way of ice cubes so that it gets into the system but he is not taking in so much water at once it is making him vomit more.

Check his gums to make sure they are pink and not white or pale as this is a symptom of a dog that needs care.

Check the capillary refill time and make sure it is not under or over 1 second. I will direct you to a link to take you through how to do this.

Stop all food for 24 hours and then start a bland diet of boiled chicken (no fat, grease, flavoring)and cooked white rice.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature