Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Coughing, shaking, loss of appetite, Sonny, 3, no

Customer Question

coughing, shaking, loss of appetite
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sonny, 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about sonny?
Customer: no
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

I am sorry to learn Sonny is not feeling well, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Breed?

4- Weight?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Since Sunday. Started just with cough, then yesterday tremoring/shaking, then this morning didn't eat. No pre existing and distemper/bortatella up to date. Frequent visitor to dog park. Mixed breed--maybe hound, shepard, pit. 50 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions, please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 28 days ago.

Friend, coughing can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination, I am sorry. But, common causes are a respiratory infection, heart or lung disease, airway disorders, etc. I am a bit concern if he is not eating, this further supports an infection or heart disease. Unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having him checked today by your family vet to auscultate his heart and lungs to make sure everything is okay. In the meantime, you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not buy sugar-free.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter