Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has injured his shoulder left leg two weeks ago he had a

Customer Question

He has injured his shoulder left leg two weeks ago he had a similar injury to his right leg two years ago had multiple tests and the specific injury was never identified.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no it is not his foot
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: He is an extremely active dog he has been crated and restricted his activity
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 23 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's very difficult for me to assess lameness in a long distance manner. It's important to recognize, too, that his left leg lameness may not have the same etiology of his right leg lameness two years ago.

Which breed is Jack, please? When X-rays and palpation of front legs don't reveal the source of the lameness, the often over-looked soft-tissue injuries of the shoulder - biceps tenosynovitis, supraspinatus calcifying tendinopathy, collateral ligament tears, and rotator cuff injuries become important differentials. Cervical (neck) spinal disorders also need to be considered because they can cause a dorsal nerve root signature sign (think of sciatica but in the front rather than hind leg).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.