Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

He has like gunk in his eyes, I have been cleaning them

Customer Question

He has snot like gunk in his eyes, I have been cleaning them twice a day and putting eye drops but it doesn't seem to be getting better. He is also now sounding congested at night when he is going to sleep. JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: He doesn't seem lethargic at all, still very active. Bailey and he is 8. JA: What is the dog's name? Customer: Bailey JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bailey? Customer: He is a boxer lab mix

Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 26 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Ocular discharge can be a sign of a bacterial infection, environmental allergies, conjunctivitis or dry eye. What type of drops are you putting in the eyes? How long have you been treating and did you have the eyes evaluated by a veterinarian prior to treating the eyes?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

He has not seen a vet yet. I used a clean cloth with just filtered water on it to wipe the gunk out. the drops are regular over the counter people eye drops with these listed as the active ingredients- glycerin . 2%, hypromellose .2%, polyethylene glycol 400 1%

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 25 days ago.

It is important to have his tear production measured to know if he has dry eye. You want to stop any drops for a few days before setting up an appointment so that the drops don't interfere with the test. The drops you have been putting in the eyes are adding some moisture, but would not be effective to treat an infection, allergies or true dry eye. Best to get him seen so that you know what type of treatment is needed. Feel free to ask follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 23 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill