Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9 pound Maltese has a tooth ache and I would like to know

Customer Question

My 9 pound Maltese has a tooth ache and I would like to know how much trim it out I can give to him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is Loui he is my baby and he is six
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Loui?
Customer: No he was saying not that long ago he has all of his shots and the vet told me he was very healthy but he does have some teeth I had to have removed. I am not in a position i financially able to do that yet
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 26 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about your concern, JACustomer. I believe autocorrect may have played a role in causing your original question to not include the necessary info. I understand that Loui is having a tooth ache. How can I best help?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Louis is my 9 pound Maltese he has a toothache and I would like to know how much Tramadol I can give him

Ah! Tramadol. We received "trim it out".

Is Loui on any other medications at this time?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No

You can give 0.5 to 1.5mg per pound of body weight. So, Loui can receive 4-13.5mg of Tramadol every 12 hours. Your closest dosage if you have the 50mg tablets would be 1/4 of a tablet per dosing. You can find the dosage info here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tramadol-prod11064.html

Bear in mind that this will only help with discomfort, it will not treat the tooth-related issue. This needs to be addressed medically.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Checking in. How is Loui today? Did the tramadol help?