Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I found a pup outside she has loose black tar and isnt

Customer Question

I found a pup outside she has loose black tar and isnt eating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Paige about a year
JA: How old is Paige?
Customer: About a year maybe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Paige?
Customer: No
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you had Paige?
2) When did the tarry stool begin? Has it ever been normal?
3) Any vetting?
4) Any vomiting?
5) Still drinking well?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No she's just laying there I just brought her in maybe about 3weeks ago
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The tarry stool started this morning

Any vetting?
Any vomiting?
Still drinking well?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No vomiting and she's not drinking
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I have no money for a vet
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Is there any way to help her?

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better, however it should be known that dogs that have this symptom are usually very ill, indeed. The tarry stool often indicates that there is blood present and may also tell us that bacteria, viruses and parasites may be causing the symptoms. Parvo, distemper, clostridium, hookworms, etc. can all contribute. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800