Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My 13 year old shepherd will not stop panting for the last

Customer Question

My 13 year old shepherd will not stop panting for the last two days and is struggling to sit down. He keeps following me around the house and his panting is getting heavier
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 29 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today with Hamlet. In an older large breed dog, panting can mean lots of things. The panting, combined with the pacing may be an indication of discomfort or anxiety. Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No , no medications. This started two days ago and tonight he is struggling to sit down. He is not sleeping either

I'm sorry to hear this. It would be best to have him in to your veterinarian to assess him and see if it is arthritis causing him to be painful, or whether there is something more serious going on. Another possibility is anxiety, related to cognitive dysfunction, an aging change to the brain. In this case, there are some anti anxiety medications that can be used. There are also pain medications available for dogs for arthritis. Your veterinarian would be able to prescribe some.

For tonight, you could try some Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which may make him sleepy and allow him to settle down. Heating up some towels in the dryer for him to lay on can also help soothe any discomfort he may have.

Please let me know if

I can be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you

You're welcome. Post back with an update if you can, and please kindly rate me :)

Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 26 days ago.
Hi Chrystal,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hamlet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow