Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has developed a watery discharge from her left eye

Customer Question

my dog has developed a watery discharge from her left eye and is scratching at it. and squints with it. About a year ago she had scratched her ey and the dr prescribed bacitracin zinc and polyxin B...I plan on taking her to the vet in the morning but was wondering should i apply this ointment now?
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian.
Customer: who mentioned fleas?!
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 24 days ago.

I don't recommend putting ointment in the eye without cleaning and flushing the eye first. My concern is that she may have gotten plant material or debris into her eye which can lead to a corneal abrasion or scratch. If we apply ointment without flushing the eye that can make the debris stick and do further damage.

Ideally she would see her veterinarian and have her eye stained to look for a scratch before medication is applied.

I understand that may not be possible tonight.

I do recommend that you flush her eye several times with sterile saline. This is the same solution that soft contact lens wearers use in their eyes, ask the pharmacist or drug store clerk for help if you are unsure.

The apply artificial tears every hour or two tonight. You can find these available over the counter at the drug store too. The more lubricated her eye is the better for her and the more comfortable she will be.

Then as long as the bacitracin zinc and polyxin B ointment does NOT have a steroid you can apply it tonight and tomorrow morning. Keep her in low light as that will keep her more comfortable.

In case this is some sort of allergic reaction give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours, that's one 25mg tablet per 25 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. Antihistamines may make her very sleepy which would actually be good.

If you have one available an elizabethan collar (lampshade or cone of shame collar) should be put on her so she cannot damage her eye by rubbing it.

The she can see her veterinarian tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you very much...very helpful...a relief...bless you...