Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog that I'd training to go pee outside randomly starts

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: My dog that I'd training to go pee outside randomly starts to pee in the home. It usually used to happen only after my wife would leave home But last night it seems that he did it again whilst we're asleep It wasn't as if he needed to go becuase I take hiom on his usual last walk of the day like clockwork
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no. Could that be a factor?
JA: The veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bently and he's 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Bently?
Customer: He has allergies, allergic to Venison, pees and barley
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 30 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like Bently may have a UTI. Has he had an exam and urinalysis since the symptoms started?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No. But here's scheduled this Sunday with his vet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.

Excellent. The best approach here given his age and symptoms would be to start with, at very least, a urinalysis to check for a urinary tract infection. It's very common for us to see dogs having accidents inside with UTI's. Try to ensure that your companion has a decently sized bladder (don't take him to pee just before coming into the clinic) when presented for his exam or catch some urine before going to the appointment, if possible. For many dogs you can easily slip a shallow dish or Tupperware lid under their body while they are going. You only need a few tablespoons worth.

Based on what they find on the urinalysis will determine treatment. Often a course of antibiotics and sometimes even a life-long diet change are needed.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?