Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Salkin: You helped us before so I was hoping you could

Customer Question

Hi Dr Salkin:
You helped us before so I was hoping you could again.
My dog 9 year old Maltese, Babie, has a rash that started about a week ago. At start it began as an itch, but as of the past 3-4 days she has begun licking the areas she can reach a lot. I took her to a doctor at MSPCA Angell Memorial in Boston today and I was told that the area in question could be from allergies, fleas, mites or environmental -- great... that does not narrow it down. The doctor prescribed antibiotic-Cephalexin 250mg oral suspension taken twice daily for 21 days! Also, a medicated shampoo-Malaseb, to be used twice weekly. The doctor used tape to collect a sample from an infected area and looked at it under the microscope to see if "yeast" was present; it was not. I requested blood work as well but did not get the results as of yet.
My concern is I don't want to subject my dog to antibiotics unless necessary, not "just incase". I have pics that I can share but any information on this would be appreicated.
Currently in the past 3 hours she is not licking the area like she has the past few days.
Other information that may help:
* She is sleeping comfortably
* She is eaten regularly
* She is going to the bathroom normally
* She is not showing any signs of distress including lethargy, stomach distress or inactivity
I have trimmed the hair in the area of her stomach and front legs aka the infected area.
There does not appear to be any oozing or broken skin but rather looks more like a rash with some white raise areas...hopefully I caught it early enough.
Lastly, I wonder if she came into contact with some lawn chemicals that she is reacting to as people in my area are always fussing with their lawn/grass. I am defiantely concerned about that as well.
I can be reached my cell phone:(###) ###-####or***@******.*** if you would prefer to video... thanks in advance
Jerrie Spencer and Babie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I am sorry but Dr. Salkin is away until Sunday evening. Would you like me to open your question to other Experts.... or would you prefer to close it and re-post when he is available?
Thank you
Camille- Moderator
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Camille:
Thank you for reaching out to me and letting me know Dr Salkin is away. I did talk to a Jane Lefler, however I did not realize she was a vet tech and not a doctor... She was very kind and gave me information but a vet tech is still not a doctor so I will pay attention to that in the future. Having said that...Dr Salkin was very helpful so whenever he gets back, I will try to reach out to him.
Question: Why does it show his status as online if he is actually away? I ask because I would like to know when he is truly back. Thanks for you time!
Best, ***** *****
Hi Jerrie :-)
Dr. Salkin has only been able to get on the site intermittently , I just spoke with him and he is not able to open your question right now, but as soon as he can, he will come on to help you.
Thank you,
Camille
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

Hi Jerrie, sorry for the delay. I'm having trouble with the site and the hotel wireless connection. I'd like to see photos or a video of Babie's skin, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ A video should be uploaded to YouTube (or similar) and then give me the link to them. Remember not mark it as "private".

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hi Dr Salkin:
I started on the antibiotic and I am still not convenced that it is needed at all. I think she might have got a bite from something that she had a reaction to--but it's only a theory. She a a small dime size fuild filled bump/mass on her chest bone; could that be connected? I believe you are traveling; it is almost 11pm here in Boston, MA but whenever you can get back to me that would be great. I am a Realtor in Boston so I work on Sundays/tomorrow but will try to be available to converse. It has begun to clear up and is almost gone and she has stopped licking it altogether however I would still like to understand what it might be so I can avoid it in the future.
The results of her blood test where normal except a protein spike but said it was nothing to be concerned about. She had a full exam in Sept and she was healthy.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 27 days ago.

Thank you for the excellent pics.

This appears to be a mild superficial spreading pyoderma.

Shampooing in an antimicrobial shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide may suffice when done twice weekly.

Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.