Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my dog chewed on my elephant ear plant her eyes or

Customer Question

I think my dog chewed on my elephant ear plant her eyes or nose swollen she's acting totally normal no vomiting diarrhea and no difficulty breathing how should I treat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looking forward to here from you

No problem, just typing up your answer now ...

Hello again

Sorry to hear Celo is a little unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot be 100% sure over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, a more widespread itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop as time goes on. What you are seeing is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind although things like the plant you mention are also a possibility. Thankfully this is rarely a serious situation.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK .

However if this is an allergic reaction you are dealing with the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

3. But if Celo deteriorates, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling, or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your local vet as soon as is practicable. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Celo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jen,

I am just checking back in to see how Celo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her facial swelling ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott

Hi Jen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Celo. How is everything going?