Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

She ate a combat roach trap, Olive, and 4 montha old, 4

Customer Question

She ate a combat roach trap
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Olive, and 4 montha old
JA: How old is Olive,?
Customer: 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Olive,?
Customer: No. The roach trap's active ingredient is hydramethylnon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Olive ingested a Combat Roach trap.

Did she eat the plastic bait station too, or just the bait?

How long ago did this occur?

How is she feeling now?

Any long term health issues?

Is she on any flea prevention? If so what are the active ingredients or what is the name of the product?

Is she taking any other medication long term?

Hydramethylnon is a trifluoromethyl aminohydrazone insecticide. It is poorly absorbed from a dog's gastrointestinal tract, more than 95% is excreted in the stools and not absorbed.

The most common signs reported in dogs with oral ingestions of hydramethylnon are gagging and vomiting. But we only need to induce vomiting if large amounts (greater than 1 ounce of bait per kilogram or body weight or 0.45 ounces per pound of body weight are ingested. That means if a 26 pound dog eats less than 11.7 ounces of hydramethylnon she should not get sick.

According to the manufacturer of Combat Roach Control System (1.65% hydramethylnon) a medium-sized (4.545 kg or 10 pound) dog would experience adverse effects from the bait itself only after eating an amount equivalent to 50 trays. The amount she ate by eating one trap was much less. That means she should not get sick unless she is very tiny and ate several traps.

If she ingested the plastic too then that is of concern. Please let me know and I can give suggestions to help with that.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****