Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Molly! Do you have the container? Do you know the active ingredient, and the weight of the bait? If you have a container or package, you can take a photo of it so we can calculate exactly how high a dose she ingested...
Hi there, I am sorry to hear about your dog's repeated rat bait toxicity.
Because it has been too long to make her vomit, I recommend seeing the emergency vet for a dose of activated charcoal that will absorb the toxin as it passes through the GI tract. I also recommend starting her on vitamin K as this is the antidote for an anticoagulant rodenticide as I believe Tomcat is. This can be confirmed by the packaging. It will say warfarin as the active ingredient or will recommend vitamin K as an antidote in case of exposure. Depending on the generation of warfarin, she should be on the vitamin K for at least 28 days. Once she has finished the medication she should have a blood test 24-48 hours later to test her clotting time called a prothrombin time or PT time. if this is increased above normal, she should continue the vitamin K for another 1-2 weeks until a PT performed 24-48 hours later stopping the medication is normal. Does this help to address your concerns tonight?