Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I just found an empty tomcat container. She ate 1 of the

Customer Question

I just found an empty tomcat container. She ate 1 of the green baits. It's currently 5:30pm. I suspect she ate it around 1:30-2:00pm. She is 3.5 years old, a German Shorthaired Pointer. approx. 50lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She got into a very large amount of this this past winter. At that time she had eaten approx. 9 of the baits. She was taken to emergency where they pumped her stomach. She recovered fully.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 26 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Molly! Do you have the container? Do you know the active ingredient, and the weight of the bait? If you have a container or package, you can take a photo of it so we can calculate exactly how high a dose she ingested...

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 25 days ago.

Hi there, I am sorry to hear about your dog's repeated rat bait toxicity.

Because it has been too long to make her vomit, I recommend seeing the emergency vet for a dose of activated charcoal that will absorb the toxin as it passes through the GI tract. I also recommend starting her on vitamin K as this is the antidote for an anticoagulant rodenticide as I believe Tomcat is. This can be confirmed by the packaging. It will say warfarin as the active ingredient or will recommend vitamin K as an antidote in case of exposure. Depending on the generation of warfarin, she should be on the vitamin K for at least 28 days. Once she has finished the medication she should have a blood test 24-48 hours later to test her clotting time called a prothrombin time or PT time. if this is increased above normal, she should continue the vitamin K for another 1-2 weeks until a PT performed 24-48 hours later stopping the medication is normal. Does this help to address your concerns tonight?