Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9 year old Gordon Setter that has had itching and

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Gordon Setter that has had itching and hot spots since August. He is on raw food and am wondering if he is missing some nutrients . I give him 1 Nuvet vitamin a day. He is active and at a good weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the Gordon setter's name?
Customer: Dylan
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Dylan?
Customer: Not that I recall
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Chances are that he has an allergy to something in the environment. Environmental allergies are far more common than food allergies in dogs. I am not sure what his diet consist of. Commercially prepared raw diets are usually nutritionally complete. Unfortunately, many homemade diets are not. I usually refer most owners to petdiets.com for a nutritional consult for homemade diets. There aren't really any essential nutrients that would be missing from a diet that can lead to itching and hot spots, though. He most likely needs to be on a course of prednisone to get the itching under control and antibiotics for the hot spot. Your vet can run an allergy test on him to see what in the environment he may be allergic too. That test may not serve much of a purpose, though, unless you plan on getting him on allergy injections. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am trying to avoid the prednisone route as I had a dog die from kidney failure. Looking for a holistic approach. He had been on appoquel also from time to time with the seasonal allergy. Looking for a holistic approach. This is what my current vet had advised.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

I don't do much in the way of holistic medicine. I am going to opt out to see if there is another vet available who may use more holistic medicine.