How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jennifer Welsh Your Own Question
Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 296
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jennifer Welsh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My God ate 3 raisins is she going to die she's 20-30lbs,

Customer Question

My God ate 3 raisins is she going to die she's 20-30lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She's a dog
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her names luna
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about luna?
Customer: No shes 5 months old a shorkie
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you and your pup are dealing with this! Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long ago did she eat the raisins?

any current meds or illness?

otherwise acting ok?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She just ate them about 15 mins ago and she's being relatively normal right now and no meds or illness
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have activated charcoal I can give her ?
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

ok thank you for that additional information. the problem with grapes and raisins is that we have not been able to pinpoint what is the "toxic dose" for dogs. some dogs have no problems and others go into kidney failure. because of this, we treat any ingestion big or small as toxic. I highly recommend you get her to the vet ASAP for decontamination (to induce vomiting) as well as they may give activated charcoal to try and decrease absorption. if they are able to get all of them to vomit up, she may or may not need additional treatment. if we can't get all of them vomited up then she will likely need iv fluid therapy over the next 48-72 hrs. they will also want to do baseline bloodwork as well as monitor for any changes over that time as well. if we make it to 72 hrs without changes to kidney values then we are in the clear.

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

I would not give activated charcoal at this time. we need to focus on trying to get her to vomit first, which the vet will be able to do and then depending on if we are able to get all the raisins up will determine the next steps of treatment.

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

are you able to get her to the vet now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I do not drive and I'm home alone until 7
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

It is not ideal as cannot guarantee it will work, but you can try to make her vomit yourself, but if you do not get the raisins up then she needs to get to the vet asap. you can give hydrogen peroxide 3% - give 25 mL (or just under 1 oz) and then jog her until she vomits. if no vomiting after 10-15 min you can repeat it ONCE. then jog again. if no vomiting then you need to take her asap. if she vomits but you dont get all the raisins then she needs to go the vet asap.

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

is there anything else I can answer for you today?