Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just adopted him on Sunday and he has been have

Customer Question

I just adopted him on Sunday and he has been have diarrthea/very very soft stool he's eating chicken & rice kibble
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buck, and he's 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Buck,?
Customer: he was a stray up until about a week ago when the rescue people found him, then I got him on Sunday he's eating fine drinking fine just has super soft stool
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was Buck's last veterinary appointment? last vaccines? last fecal?
2) How long has he been on the kibble?
3) What was he eating prior to this kibble?
4) Any vomiting?
5) Any blood in the stool?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I know he had his vaccinations/rabies and was neutered on 11/1, but I dont know if they did a fecal or anything. He was literally just rescued a week or so ago. was a stray before that. I think he was eating kibble but not sure what kind because he was at a couple of different foster homes for a few days before I got him. he is not vomitting, and there is no blood in the stool. the past few days it has been firmer in the mornings but he still has diarrhea in the midday and evenings.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Was Buck adopted from an adoption agency or layperson?

Do you have a copy of the veterinary work that as performed?

Is he still on just the chicken and rice kibble? No human food? no treats? Just his kibble and water?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
he was adopted from a rescue group called Copper's Dream. I've attached the paperwork I have, but this is all I have. He is on the kibble, I give him occasional treats (usually Pupperoni or Beggin Strips), every other day he gets a Greenie, and he doesn't get people food.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Oh, he was also dewormed on 11/2 with Praziquantel, Pyrantel, & Oxantel Fenbenzadole
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for the additional info. Have his stools improved at all?

It does not look like a fecal exam was performed, although dewormer was given.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Saturday evening he had the most normal stool I've seen him have, and Sunday morning it was OK, but Sunday evening he had full blow diarrhea again. Really liquidy. This morning his poop was fairly soft but somewhat formed at least.

I think until you can have him examined by your vet the treats need to be removed from the diet, they likely aren't helping solidify the stool. Additionally, I would personally move forward to having a fecal exam done. It doesn't appear that it was performed beforehand and he could have any number of intestinal parasites contributing to the symptoms. You've really done as much as you can at home and this has not resolved in over a week.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Checking in. How is Buck doing?