Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is sleeping now, was swaying back and forth and couldn't

Customer Question

She is sleeping now, was swaying back and forth and couldn't move back legs... Gave her honey on her gums and then she ate a bit but is now very listless and jumpy when I try to pick her up. She is a Pomeranian 7 months old, got her on saturday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the Pomeranian will be able to digest that. What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Juneau
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Juneau?
Customer: I think it's low blood sugar, she didn't eat very well today... Had vaccines yesterday
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is Juneau being fed?
2) How often is she eating?
3) How long prior to this episode did she eat?
4) Any diarrhea or vomiting?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
She is still partially on the breeder's high protein food and we are switching her slowly to royal canin XS puppy but for the past day and a half she only ate maybe a half a cup in small increments, maybe a few tablespoons at a time morning lunch and dinner. She hadn't eaten her dinner very much and I noticed the symptoms while she was eating her second attempt a dinner. She ate some food since the symptoms started and she is seeming better but very very lethargic.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No diarrhea or vomiting

Her feeling unwell likely has a great deal to do with her vaccines being given. Before the next set, talk to your vet about premedication her and also giving something for discomfort. Otherwise, you may go through this again the next time she has boosters or a round of annual vaccines as she ages. Many small breed dogs are sensitive.

I believe you have hit the nail on the head with presuming this is low blood sugar. The question becomes what to do from this point forward. She needs to be eating at last a few bites of food every 2-4 hours or she is going to become hypoglycemic again very quickly.

Is she willing to eat anything readily?