Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 3 pound yorkie and he ate three trip heart plus

Customer Question

Hi I have a 3 pound yorkie and he ate three trip heart plus heartworm tablets and I was wondering should I be worried and if so what should I do..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 28 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The amount of ivermectin (the heartworm preventative) is miniscule in that tablet and isn't a consideration for toxicity. I might treat dogs with 100X the amount of ivermectin present in three tablets when addressing manges. The other ingredient - pyrantel - is of moderate toxicity when ingested in excess. Dosages of up to 7X recommended generaly result in no toxic reactions, however. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK thank you so much, so he should be perfectly fine?

Yes, however, as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but he wasn't intoxicated.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you sooooooo much.. Have a good day.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?