Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Type your Dog Veterinary question here I am considering

Customer Question

Type your Dog Veterinary question here I am considering buying a puppy who was one of two born to 6 yr old small springer spaniel mother and miniature poodle father. The other puppy did not live. The parents of this puppy have produced healthy, smart dogs previously. could the single live birth be an indicator of future developmental issues? the puppy is 4 weeks old and I am going to see her this weekend.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 25 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm glad to hear that you're doing some research with getting this new addition to the house. More than likely the single live birth isn't going to indicate potential future developmental issues. The best thing that I can recommend here is to get this little one checked over by a vet prior to your purchasing her. That veterinary exam can provide some big information as far as how her heart sounds and how the rest of her physical exam is as far as her health. If she's growing well, social, playing, eating and drinking well and be an otherwise bright and alert puppy, the concern should be very, very low. Some can just have issues during birth and puppies can be lost due to unforeseen circumstances.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?