Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 15 year old dog broke her femur. After seeing the xray

Customer Question

my 15 year old dog broke her femur. After seeing the xray the Vet said she's a good candidate for surgery and a pin. I'm trying to decide if surgery or just heal on it's own. I'm wondering what her chances of walking again would be without surgery and if that's better than recovery/rehab for a 15 year old dog after surgery. She's very healthy, we walk everyday, however she's been showing displacia progressing over the last few years.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound on foot. why ?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hamoa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Hamoa?
Customer: not really, she's always lived an active life, we live at the beach
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Hamoa's injury. I would say she needs the surgery to pin that broken femur. A femur fracture is one that can't be effectively stabilized with an external splint / bandage. It won't heal if surgery isn't pursued as the fractured bone won't be held stable to allow a callus to form and stabilize the fracture. Age isn't a disease is what I tell owners. If you are wanting her to get back to her normal activity, then I would do the surgery. In some really bad fractures that aren't good for surgical repair, amputation can be brought up, but in her case, the surgery would be the absolute first recommendation.