Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ate my old dogs tablet. 30mg phenobarbital. Will

Customer Question

Hi my foster dog just ate my old dogs tablet. 30mg phenobarbital. Will it harm him. He is a 15kilo big six month old pup.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ralphy.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ralphy?
Customer: No he is healthy and active.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to let you know that Ralphy's weight works in our favor. This is a 2mg/kg dose which is quite a low dose. Therefore, this wouldn't cause long term harm but could cause 24 hours of restlessness,lethargy, depression, increased appetite and increased thirst/urination. So, we'd just need to monitor for those but would expect it to run its course and cause no lasting issues.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,

Dr. B.