Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

K, my dog ate a brownie from the dispensary and she won't

Customer Question

k
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: my dog ate a weed brownie from the weed dispensary and she won't move and is a little chuwawa I'm freaking out please help
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: what do you mean I just told you
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no just the weed brownie please I don't know what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. Marijuana toxicities are actually getting more common with the legalization of it in numerous states. The best thing that I can recommend at this time is getting her to an ER clinic at this time. The THC in that marijuana has the chance to be a fatal situation if enough is in it based on her body size. At the ER clinic, they can start her on IV fluids and monitor her vital signs to see if she's becoming more depressed / affected by it and then initiate further therapy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't take her to the clinic its 11:46 at night sir. Im freaking out because of her body size. Can I do anything
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please sir I don't know what to do.

All you can do at home is to keep her in a quiet area where she can rest. I would make sure that she's in a spot where she can stay warm, on a blanket with it on her. This can help her to retain body heat in case the environment tries to take it away from her. Could she just be really sedate for a period of time due to it and then start to come out of it? That is something that may happen. You can't do anything else at home except try to keep her warm and in a spot where she can't hurt herself by falling. You should never try to make them vomit in a situation like this as aspiration is a very worrisome potential side effect.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long do you think the brownie last and can she die from it. Be 100% honest.

Here is a good link on the marijuana toxicity.

http://www.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=4951863&said=1

One of the things stated in it is "The chance of fatality is statistically small but possible. In most cases, the patient can simply be confined to prevent injury until the THC wears off." The cases I've seen where not substantial amounts were eaten typically are looking better in 12 hours.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It won't let me look at it without a username and password

Sorry about that! I went through a veterinary website to get to it. Here's the non veterinary access.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1382

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She ate a whole dispensary weed brownie sir. Can she die or not please.

I can't tell you the amount of THC in that brownie. That is unknown. So the chance of death is possible, but it would hopefully be very, very low.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It says its 2.1 grams on it.

I'm sorry as I went off line last night due to getting very busy at work. How is she doing this morning? The 2.1 grams may be the amount of marijuana in it, but the frustration is how potent that amount is. There are no exact amounts of THC in marijuana and some can be more potent than others.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok that makes sense.. But she is laying down next to me sleeping at the moment which I assume she will be for awhile correct?

Sleeping and letting her body get the THC out is going to be most likely the course of progression that is followed. How is she at this time? Starting to get more aware?