How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14864
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our dog just found an ageless absorbtion package, I don't

Customer Question

Hi yes, our dog just found an ageless absorbtion package, I don't think he ate much inside, package was split open and wet it's not the silicone beads, brownish in color.
JA: The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that.
Customer: I called our veteinarian and they said not to worry, reasured me.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: he should have asked me what was inside the package and didn't, advised if I was worried to just call pet posin control. This is not my reg. vet but ER Vet
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 29 days ago.

The active ingredient in an Ageless Absorbtion Package is iron. It works by the oxygen chemically reacting with iron in the package to cause rust, and thus removes oxygen from the sealed environment.

Iron can be toxic if eaten in large quantities, but the type of iron present will affect how much your pup actually absorbs and the small amount he may have ingested from one sachet is unlikely to be enough to be truly toxic.

No clinical signs of toxicity are expected in dogs ingesting less than 20 mg/kg of elemental iron. Dogs ingesting between 20 and 60 mg/kg of elemental iron can develop mild clinical signs. If the dog ingests greater than 60 mg/kg of elemental iron, serious clinical signs can develop. An oral dose between 100 and 200 mg/kg is possibly deadly.

For example if your pup is 20 pounds he is 9kgs. If he ingested less than 180mgs (9kgs X 20mgs/kg = 180mgs) of elemental iron he will be fine.

If he ate less than 540mgs of elemental iron then I would expect very mild signs including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite.

If you can tell me the milligrams of iron in the pill, and the type of iron I can help you figure out how much Patches truly received.

But odds are that with the amount he may have ingested from one partial package he will be fine.

You might see mild stomach upset, as iron can make them nauseous even at nontoxic levels, but that really should be it.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
most of the contents is in the package still, and wet inside. I wouldn't be able to guess in mgs how much he ingested. Been 45 min's and he seems fine. 56 lbs australian shepherd standard breed
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 29 days ago.

He is not a tiny dog, so if most of the package was still there it is highly unlikely he ingested enough to even cause upset/nausea let alone a true toxicity. I suspect that he will remain normal and you have nothing to worry about.

The concern with these products is when we have a tea cup or toy breed eat an entire package or packages. Then we do need to worry about iron toxicity.