Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dragging her back legs but still eating drinking water fine

Customer Question

Dragging her back legs but still eating drinking water fine no pain happen sudden
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Could it be worms she couldn't pass
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Maxie and 2
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- What is her breed?

3- Is she able to support any weight on her back legs?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Just a few minutes Boston terrier and feistt and no but bowel movements are normal
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

1- To make sure I got this right, she is permanently dragging her back legs; she is not using her back legs at all, correct?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Could it be worms that she can't pass
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Correct but has no pain
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Because I checked for broken back legs etc
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 29 days ago.

Friend, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Maxie. In response to your question, this is not caused by parasites. I am concern that she may have a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. In other words, the disc is putting pressure on the spinal cord and interfering with the nervous motor input to the back legs. The fact that she has no pain is a concern, if there is a compression lesion it might be severe. Unfortunately, we are limited as to what you can do at home. There is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having Maxie checked tonight by nearest ER veterinarian. If this is related to a slipped disc the longer she goes untreated the less likely she will recover, for this reason, it is important to not wait for treatment. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Dr. Peter