Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can I give mu 90 ibs dog human penicillin. I believe she has

Customer Question

Can I give mu 90 ibs dog human penicillin. I believe she has a inner ear infection and she shaking her head alot and tilting it and when u rub her one ear it sounds like little fluid in their.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already called my vet they can't get her in untill week and I know she has to be misserable
Expert:  DrBridget replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I will be happy to help answer your question today. Please be aware that without performing a physical exam I cannot "treat" your dog Tammy but I can give you information to help get her feeling better while bearing in mind cost. The symptoms you describe do fit with an ear infection. These infections can be caused by bacteria or yeast and may follow something getting in a dogs ear e.g. water or a grass seed. I do not suggest you give Tammy oral human penicillin for a number of reasons. The first being that ear infections are more commonly caused by yeast and penicillin does not treat yeast. The second reason is that oral antibiotics do not penetrate the ear canal well enough to treat an ear infection alone. The third reason is that using penicillin is not the best choice for an ear infection and using an inappropriate antibiotic can lead to bacterial resistance.

So how to help Tammy I suggest that you have Tammy examined by a local vet to determine the type of infection and make sure that there is nothing stuck inside her ear. The most common treatments will consist of an ear cleaner and dog ear ointment. Please avoid putting any other oils or solutions into her ear as they can cause damage to the ear canal and ear drum and ultimately make it more expensive and difficult to fix her infection.

If you do not already have a local vet, sometimes vet offices may offer a free or discounted first office visit, this gives the opportunity for you to affordably decide if you would like that vet to treat Tammy. Please let me know if you have any questions. Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what canbI do for her untill she goes to the vet next week ?
Expert:  DrBridget replied 1 month ago.

If she is in pain try to get her to the vet this week. The longer you wait the more damage the infection may cause. In the meantime you can use a canine ear cleaner

Expert:  DrBridget replied 1 month ago.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet