Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

On Sat Nov 5th, I was grooming my toy poodle on a high

Customer Question

On Sat Nov 5th, I was grooming my toy poodle on a high table. She leeped from it and landed on her front left shoulder and head. Now her two front legs are very close together and is taking little steps. She stands kinda like a tri pod, with the front feet kicked sideways.She is a little unstable. She can jump up a little but has to be picked up to be put on the ground. I have felt all of her bones and they seem ok, she didn't yelp. I did notice that her front chest/leg muscles are shaking. I'm wondering if she tore a muscle or if it's like a charlie horse (lock up)? Plz help me..
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear Sadie had this spill. My primary concern is a head or neck injury from your description. Both can present with ataxia or the unsteady gait as well as the hesitation to jump down but I suspect first and foremost a neck injury.

Unfortunately I don't think you will get answers at home because this will require a veterinary exam and hopefully getting her on pain medications to control any inflammation and return her to normal.

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck and back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back and into the shoulders. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort because they too will cry out if picked up a certain way due to back pain.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I apologize if you had difficulties viewing my responses, there seemed to have been a glitch with the site for a little bit. Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything tonight?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 24 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Sadie doing since you asked your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best