Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My chihuahua is 13 years old, she's always had reverse

Customer Question

Hi, my chihuahua is 13 years old, she's always had reverse sneezing, but within the last month or so, it's gotten to the point where I am pretty sure she has a collapsed trachea. We have an appointment to take her in to the vet on Friday, but my research shows that since there is no cure, the only treatments to help minimize the coughs is either surgery or steroids/harsh medicines both treatments, both of which I'm not comfortable moving forth with given her age and how tiny she is. Do you recommend I still go to the vet or are there any household/natural/holistic routes I can go for treatment?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the chihuahua's name?
Customer: Taco
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Taco?
Customer: No
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 30 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Taco's situation. I would absolutely still recommend you still get to your vet so they can check him over. They can evaluate him and make sure all this isn't tied into a heart situation. Sometimes they can have heart issues that can make a collapsing trachea situation more pronounced. More than likely after a good physical exam they will recommend taking some chest x-rays to screen for underlying pulmonary issues too. IF there is some heart issue tied into this, they can start some medications to help control that. If it is all a collapsing trachea situation, they can actually consider use of a cough suppressant like butorphanol or hydrocodone on an as needed basis to ease the episodes. This can be managed medically pretty well in a lot of cases and I would definitely keep that appointment.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?