Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My English bulldog drank about six ounces of Sangria that he

Customer Question

My English bulldog drank about six ounces of Sangria that he got to in my cup
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your English bulldog?
Customer: Just wanted to know if I should do anything special with him
JA: Where does your English bulldog seem to hurt?
Customer: He is not hurt. He drank sangria/wine . Is there anything I should be concerned about ?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your English bulldog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { Minutes or hours ago } ?

2. Is your Bulldog showing any odd symptoms at present ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 30 minutes ago. No symptoms

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. It is encouraging that he is not showing any adverse symptoms at present. While dogs are more susceptible to alcohol toxicity than humans with a smaller amount such as you mention the chances are that you will only see minor symptoms { If any } such as lethargy plus some degree of incoordination and perhaps vomiting. Should this occur then most dogs will just sleep it off, but of course if more serious symptoms should occur you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay.

2. Given the above the chances are that you will be taking very little risk in just observing him for present but if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the Sangria that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best should you want to go down this route : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Bulldog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Bulldog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Sangria issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.