Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has just been diagnosed with kidney failure. What can

Customer Question

My dog has just been diagnosed with kidney failure . What can I do for her?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Beta's situation. Did they recommend keeping her hospitalized for giving her fluids in her vein? Did they know why she is having kidney failure? There are definitely more treatment and diagnostic options available to try and get more answers and see if she can be helped more. If she hasn't had a kidney ultrasound, that can be done to get a better understanding of the kidney size and architecture. A urine sample should be evaluated to see if there is any chance of an infectious cause that may need treatment with antibiotics. At my ER, if a vomiting dog with kidney issues is brought in, I will try to get that patient hospitalized and started on IV fluids.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they said that if fluids was an option but didn't give us much hope . Just said that was something we could try.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just need to know if there is something I can do at home . Like a holistic approach
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

At this time, the fluids IV may be the best initial hope to try and get him hydrated and to help support the kidneys / flush out the waste products that most likely have been building up. Kidney values that are elevated can be due to acute kidney injury or chronic degeneration. For a 15 year old dog that has elevated renal values, the suspicion has to be there for the chronic degeneration. AS far as something that can be done at home, continuing the fluids under the skin is honestly the best thing that can help to keep her hydrated and to wash out the waste products that are building up. Some owners will learn how to do this on a regular basis at home. Diet is the next thing to try and slow down the progression of the kidney disease. Once she's eating, there are lower protein diets that can be started up to slow down the kidney disease progression.