Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is shaking when he breathes in and out and was

Customer Question

My dog is shaking when he breathes in and out and was curious why
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: He was limping a few days ago after we brought he back from the groomers. He's more cuddly
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes. we can't find anything wrong. We think maybe they cut too far on his nail. He seems to be limping less today
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: we opened a new bag of dog food 2 days ago.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Your dog's shaking is a non-specific symptom most often indicative of pain but also seen with fear, anxiety, and fever. If he shakes only when inhaling or exhaling, it would suggest that pain is either originating in his pulmonary system or in the muscles that are stretched when he breaths - picture a patient with broken ribs trying to breathe without causing himself pain. Curiously, my back was "out" a few days ago and inhaling was painful because it aggravated the muscle spasms associated with my back disorder. It will be a challenge to clarify why he's painful or if pain is associated with his shaking. His vet may elect to prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinfllammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam and see how its analgesic effect affects your dog.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.